Friday, April 9, 2010

How I love thee, let me count the ways...

Just a few thoughts this beautiful afternoon, before heading out to a beautiful new temple!

I went back through my journal and read an entry I made after our December 2009 stake conference. It reads, "Nearly every talk had something to do with marriage, family, or spouses. It was... one of those conferences." Is it just me, or is there some kind of conspiracy out there? It seems like whenever I hit a point in my life that's supposed to be a marker of some kind, out come the big guns, metaphorically speaking of course. General Conference, which I truly enjoyed while I was out in Alberta, seemed to be rife with advice, comments and full-blown talks about marriage, love, spouses, or children. Not only that, but Spring seems to be the season of love, and the way I figured that one out was to count the number of people I know getting engaged these days.

There must be something in the sacrament water.

Needless to say, I've had a lot of time to think about love.

Elder Bednar gave a fantastic talk the conference before last where he said that public outpourings of love over the pulpit (during fast and testimony Sunday) make him squirm. My mother is of a like attitude, but for a different reason than Elder Bednar's (which I'll not get into). Elder Bednar went to say "that the spouse and children should not be hearing this apparently rare and private communication in public at church."

What I drew from that particular part of his talk was that although it's nice to be appreciated in public, it's even nicer to hear that at home, and on a consistent basis.

Elder Bednar squirms, but I cringe, especially when I sign into an infamous social networking site and see that someone has changed there status to something like, "John Smith loves his schnoopsy-poo," or "Jane Johnson wants everyone to know how much she loves and adores Jim, and always will." Just today I signed in and saw two such statuses, the latter causing me to cringe more than the first.

I have no problem with people expressing their love for each other, by all means - do! But I start to squirm when it's so publicly announced. It's not scriptural by any means, but I think it starts to mean less, the more often love is told in public.

No comments: